Saturday, May 22, 2010

Strange Luck, but good :) (A)

I received my new Barlow (3x) adapter and various other sundries (light pollution filter, etc.) and tonight I actually got to use them. Most of the time I end up with "new telescope syndrome" whereby the weather conspires to keep me from enjoying my new toys for a week or more. For some reason it ended up clear tonight. Humid and hot, but clear none-the-less.



M13 - located in the keystone (Hercules) this is the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules and per the Interweb... "Globular cluster M13 was selected in 1974 as target for one of the first radio messages addressed to possible extra-terrestrial intelligent races, and sent by the big radio telescope of the Arecibo Observatory." It's very easy to spot and I viewed it at all of my resolutions finding the 15mm w/ Barlow to be the closest without getting blurry or out of focus. I think if it hadn't been so close to the horizon I'd have seen it brighter, but still... a DSO is a DSO sometimes.



The new gear performed well. The Televue eyepiece and barlow perform so well it's hard to believe. :) I'm not so sure about the filter... we'll have to see in a more varied environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment