Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jupiter at Jon Watkins' House

Jon Watkins was nice enough to have the club out to his house again and this year we pretty much focused (get it) on Jupiter.  I looked up when the red spot would transit and luckily got some shots of it while it was in view.  I made a looping animation to show the movement and moons and then did some color saturation and contrast on the image I liked the best to show off the bright colors.

Shooting rig - C8 with a Meade flip mirror and Canon EOS T3 (12.2mp) - I was using EOS Capture to control the camera and record from the live view feed w/ a 5x zoom.  That gives me (according to Jerry Lodriguss) a pretty much 1:1 pixel density so I'm getting as good a shot as I can get.  I didn't crop at all so what you see is exactly what I got.

Looping animation of 18 frames - some are a little darker, but it's a neat effect.  If you look closely at the top of the image you can see two of the moons moving in different directions (one is close and the other is far so you can see how they orbit).


Still frame of the first good shot.  I bumped up the color saturation and contrast to make the colors more visible, but other than that I was just glad to get a decent shot of the red spot.  Sure I'd like to have used a barlow lens, but I'm glad to at least get the opportunity and have some fun learning my rig.


No comments:

Post a Comment