Friday, October 1, 2010

Good Seeing (w/ the exception of neighbor lights)

So... I desperately need to build an astronomy blind. I've got the plans and know that it's mostly PVC pipe and tarps, but I need to actually do it. I checked the weather and had clear skies tonight. I get out there and it's nice and dark (for in town that is). Then right when I was checking out Jupiter my idiot neighbors decide to turn two flood lights on. I grumbled, went inside to get my hoodie and made some attempt to soldier on. Here's what I saw...

Andromeda's Galaxy - much brighter than usual. The galactic center looked almost like a fuzzy star for all it's brightness.

Double Cluster - looking nice in my 32mm and also looked at Stock 2 that had a line of bright stars pointing to it (from the Double Cluster).

Jupiter - with it's single stripe (currently) it looks sort of unreal, but I had good seeing and think I saw the spot. Hard to tell, but I definitely saw 4 of the moons.

Uranus - pale blue dot - the only reason I know it's not a star is at high enough magnification it appears as a circle. :)

Can't talk about the conquests without mentioning the failures. I need some GOTO I guess, but I spent about 15 minutes attempting to find M33 (Triangulum Galaxy), but couldn't.

Bright spot to end on - Pleiads appeared again so that marks my first year observing (since it was up when I started) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment