Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Zenith viewing w/ a dob :(

For all it's aperture, there's not much fun to be had attempting to view at the Zenith with a dobsonian mount. Lots of moving around the scope to get the spot that works, but I did see what I was after.

Albireo - Double star in Cygnus was a very pretty orange and blue/green set. They are cherished by telescope folks and I can see why. The contrast is beautiful.

Dumbbell Nebula - once again my hopes are slightly out of alignment w/ reality. Nice round blur, but no color that I could discern. It's fairly large at least and made me want to visit my dark site to see what it "really" looks like. In any case I think I'm going to have to break down and get an astro-photography rig before much longer ($$ willing).

Jupiter - big and bright, but the seeing wasn't too great as it swam in and out of focus.

Uranus - tonight I found it without any help :) nice blue dot passing through my eyepiece

No comments:

Post a Comment