Monday, February 28, 2011

Observing again

I've got my super nice mount, but no AC Adapter. I've got gear on the way, but it was clear tonight and not too cold. It's been since December w/o any observing and I wanted to just spend some time under the stars.

This image shows the Hyades (lower left) and Pleiads (upper right) both in Taurus. I spent some time admiring the Hyades and enjoying the view through the 70mm refractor. I don't normally like observing with anything less than my 10", but this was easy to grab and I didn't anticipate spending long out there (an hour at the most). Using a 40mm EP to get a wide view was optimum.

We often spend so much time hunting faint fuzzies that we forget how beautiful individual stars are. Sirius is a blue diamond floating in the sky that just gets brighter and brighter the longer you look at it. Below I looked at M41 and the stars in it were pin-prick sharp.

Regulus in Leo was another very nice star to observe tonight. I enjoyed myself and for a school night that's about as much as I can ask for. I'm sure my camera and AC adapter will herald the coming clouds. Hope not, since I've got a star party to attend Saturday. I promise not to bring any new equipment as long as I can go and enjoy the sky.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. You seem like someone who certainly knows what they are doing astronomy-wise. Last night I spent a cold hour watching a total eclipse of the moon, from start to completely covered in shadow. A spooky wonderful sight. All the best.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I still feel like a newbie, but I'm having fun.

    ReplyDelete