Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow, Rain, Clouds and a new mount


So I'm home from Louisiana with my newly acquired mount. It's an Atlas EQ-G and heavy enough to get the job done. I'm embarrassed to say that I've not been able to find an extra $40 to get the power adapter, so it's essentially an office statue extolling the virtues of engineering and astronomy. I had some success getting it connected to my shabby laptop and if I can get the power situation worked out I'll be in good shape to get some guidance out of it.



The seller had a few other items that I ended up needing and one was an 8mm Orion Stratus wide field eyepiece. I have to say it's pretty amazing to see Orion's Nebula using an EP like that. You have some difficulty seeing everything it has to offer without moving your eye around. It's truly a window into space :) I looked at the Nebula, Mizar (in the Big Dipper) and just casually looked around at various stars. I've not had much ambition lately, but getting new equipment and waiting the week for the clouds to blow off has made me more patient somehow.



If I had the ca$h to get the power adapter I might not be so patient :)

No comments:

Post a Comment