Sunday, December 13, 2009

2nd shot

So... tonight is the Geminid Meteor Shower and it's foggy here. It wasn't foggy when we got home, but now it is. I'm not complaining because even though my batteries sucked (I need new rechargeable ones or something) I had a good time w/ my telescope and showing Harrison.



So... dead batteries (or mostly dead) and fog setting in I looked at a bright "star in the western sky (under the trees in my back yard) and when I adjusted the focus...

This is what we saw. Not quite this big, but the moons were lined up just like that (inverted due to my diagonal tube) and obviously not labelled. This image is from my planetarium software using my location and the time we were observing to show the position at that moment in time.



Nothing was between me and the largest planet in our solar system except a few pieces of glass and a bunch of space. That concept literally blows me away. Hopefully I can get some clear skies and some decent batteries for next time, but I can say that every time is fun (so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment