Friday, December 18, 2009

Clear Friday Night


What do Orion's Nebula, Jupiter and it's moons and Mars all have in common? I looked at all of them tonight. :)



I still can't seem to get the knack of aligning my goto system. It says to align with any 3 bright objects, but I'm thinking that I need an AC adapter because by the time I get it panned around much the motors are getting slowed down. Maybe l-ion batteries or something. Anyway...



I'm out there letting the scope get cooled off to the night temperature and Amy and her mom and the boy get home so I'm all like, "Hey, wanna see Jupiter?" since I can recognize it and remember where it was. I pulled it up and I swear the "seeing" was good enough to recognize the bands even at only 50x power. Seeing is the quality of the atmosphere that you are looking through. To determine the power you divide the focal point (1250mm in my case) by the eyepiece (25mm) and end up with 50x. James is bringing me a 6.7mm which should push me up to 187x so that'll be over 3 times closer to things than I am now :) I can't wait to see what Jupiter and Mars look like then!



So... Orion's Nebula at 50x is pretty much a seashell cloud that you can barely see in the city, but I don't care because I saw it.



Anyway I'm geeking out too much so I'm going to look at some interweb and call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment